Tuesday, May 20, 2014

EVOC: In Other Words, My Worst Nightmare

Emergency Vehicle Operations Course or EVOC is my worst nightmare. I took the lecture part of it during EMT school, which was 8 hours on a day we normally did not have class. It consisted of videos, a speaker and a lot of time to kill. After we took that we signed up for a driving day, which is the time we would actually get to drive the practice ambulance and get our certificate for EVOC. Now most ambulance agencies require you to have EVOC or some form of emergency vehicle certification to get hired. I signed up for the last possible day to take the driving course, for two reasons. One being that I was having issues with my license because I had to switch states etc, so had hoped that by the last date all issues would be resolved. The other reason being I was deathly afraid to drive the ambulance. I know I know, sounds weird but driving is a nerve racking thing to do for me and the thought of driving a 20+ foot rig and backing it up did not sound like a ton of fun. So I talked to the women who ran the EMS division and they said it was fine if I didn't take it that semester. I have still not taken it yet, but contacted the one woman this week and they may have a spot for me to come take the course. I am excited because this will finally allow me to be employed with an ambulance, rather than a hospital, but I am also very nervous! I have no experience driving a huge rig! Off to U-haul I go to rent a truck to practice LOL



2 comments:

  1. Get yourself a cushion! ;) Good on ya. I hope you can get it and get the job you want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will probably need a cushion to drive the ambulance! LOL

    ReplyDelete